These days, air conditioning is common in shops and offices, but it’s now becoming more popular in homes. If you’re considering buying an air conditioner, there are some things to bear in mind when you’re choosing a system to suit you:
- How much space do you have in your home?
- Do you need a permanent unit?
- Could you use a portable system?
There are single unit (portable) air conditioners or split unit systems, which must be installed permanently. There are advantages and disadvantages to each system, so you should make sure you know the pros and cons of each before you make your decision.
Single unit air conditioners
If you want to be able to cool lots of different rooms in your home at different times, a portable air conditioner may be best for you. They are also a cheap option for cooling your house and are easy to install – all you have to do is vent the hot air through a hose that you feed through an open window.
However, there are some disadvantages to single unit air conditioners:
- There is a security risk as a window needs to be open
- Not as efficient – they get hot and hot air leaks back into the room
- Can be heavy – make sure you buy a unit that you can lift easily
Split unit air conditioners
Split unit air conditioners are ideal for a number of reasons:
- You can cool one room that gets particularly hot
- No security risk as they are mounted to the wall with no open window required
- They are much quieter and much more efficient than portable systems
- They can be more powerful than single unit systems
Just like portable air conditioners, there are still some disadvantages to split unit air conditioners. They are more expensive than portable systems, and they need to be permanently mounted on an outside wall. You’ll probably need to hire a professional to install it, as it can be difficult.
Overall, if you’d like to keep one room in your home cool, such as your bedroom, a split unit air conditioner may be ideal. Use our service to get up to four quotes from trusted air conditioning installers in your area.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?